Frequently Asked Questions

We welcome you to contact us at any time with your questions, but you may find the answer by browsing through some frequently asked questions and their answers below.  If you still find that your questions are unanswered and would like to contact us, then feel free to do so.

Where in the U.S. do your programs take place?

Our programs take place in one of the safest and most family-friendly places in the U.S. : Utah.  In addition to being safe, Utah is also a beautiful state with the most highly- educated population of any state in the country. It is an ideal location to experience traditional American culture and enjoy the natural beauties of America.

Utah Travel Info ›

Who will be my host family?

You will stay with an American host family during your entire stay in the U.S.  Click here for more information about Home Stay.

Do I need a visa to go to the U.S.?

Students who do not have an American passport or a current visa will need to apply for a visa to enter the U.S. For all programs other than the Year Exchange, you will apply for a nonimmigrant visa (DS-156).  Year Exchange students will be issued an I-20 form before applying for an F-1 visitor visa.  After you are accepted to a program, a representative in your area will give you all the information necessary to apply for your visa and help you through the process as needed.

How good does my English need to be to join a program?

The level of English required depends on which program you want to attend.  In general, you must be able to communicate at a basic conversation level. It is not necessary for you to have superb English in order to attend a program. After all, one of the main reasons you will join a program is to improve your English!  When you apply to a program, you will answer three short essay questions that will be used to assess whether or not your English meets the requirements of the program you apply for.  If  you are accepted to your program, then your English should be good enough.

I am a vegetarian, will I be able to eat a vegetarian diet during my program?

Yes.  Be sure to include this information on your Student Application so that we place you with a family that can provide you with a vegetarian diet.

What happens if I need to see a doctor while I’m in the U.S.?

All participating students will have accident and overseas medical reimbursement insurance.  Should you need to visit a doctor or require other medical attention during your program, the program director will be sure you get the assistance you need.

Will my parents be able to contact me during my program?

Yes, your parents can contact you during your stay in the U.S.  Many parents prefer to send their child with an international cell phone so that they can easily contact them at any time.  However, a more economical option is to communicate with each other over the Internet or for either one of you to use an international calling card to call on the phone.  Your parents will also receive contact information for a local contact person in your home country should they need to contact the program director for any reason.

Please be mindful of time zone differences when you call the homes of host families, as it would be inconsiderate to call early in the morning or late at night.

What will the weather be like in the U.S.?

The weather will vary depending on what time of year you are traveling to the U.S.  After you are accepted to a program, you will receive an information packet entitled “Student Orientation Information” that will include a description of what kind of weather to expect and how to prepare for it.

What do I need to bring with me?

After you are accepted to a program, you will receive an information packet entitled “Student Orientation Information” that will include a list of things to bring with you.